Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Hypocrisy of a World Traveler




I did it.
I hopped on a jet and flew halfway around the world spewing 2.7 metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere and doing my little part to speed the melting the icecaps, warm the planet and drown the lowland inhabitants of this fine planet.  I also left my bike at home, and after driving the narrow winding roads of Southern New Zealand in my new used van for the past couple days, I can't say I really regret it.  Don't get me wrong, my heart twinges with nostalgic longing when I pass the odd touring cyclist, but I decided a while ago to have a little different adventure in the land of the Kiwi.

It is undeniable that cycle touring opens doors to experiences that the automobile makes impossible, but the opposite is also true and the fact that New Zealand boasts some of the most pristine back country on Earth has pulled me to the ease of the automobile as a means of access.  For a good while now I have been doing my best to live small and demonstrate the joys of recreating close to home under human power, but for the next couple months I am going to burn some fossil fuels and have an adventure with my lovely wife that I will not soon forget.

I know that it doesn't quite fit the rules of the Front Door Adventure, but hell, it's my blog and if you don't like it, quit reading.

Kloshe konaway
Kloshe nanitch

Matt


In February of 2011, a 6.3 earthquake rocked Christchurch leveling much of the city's old infrastructure.  Three years later, the downtown is largely empty of commerce as planning and debate continue about the future of New Zealand's second largest city.

Concrete filled cargo containers retain many condemned, but still standing buildings.

My new Front Door, 1994 Toyota Estima.  Good to go with new front brakes, a used tire and a tank of petrol. 

Unsettled weather in the South Island convinced Jenny and I to head Northwest of Nelson to Able Tasman National Park and one of the Great Walks of New Zealand.  


Rugged coastlines thick with native bush dotted with pristine white sand beaches characterize this stunning 3-day walk.






Several tidal crossing require good timing and barefoot travel.

NOTHING makes Jenny happier than sunshine, the ocean and sand.


Rare sighting of a Blue Penguin.

Weka bird. The locals say they aren't bad eating, albeit a bit chewy.




70 km by foot over three days or an hour by water taxi.  

13 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll send you my recipe for Weka Pot Pie … mmmmm, tastes just like chicken �� Toni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni-

      You have anything for Possum? They are a real nuisance here and there is a National movement for extermination ;-)

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete
  2. It is now on my bucket list. Grandpa Erbeck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay-

      The fishing down here is world class as well. Pack your bags!

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete
  3. matt and jenny....so good to see your smiling faces! looks gorgeous, send home a tan for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about a sunburned bald spot? Miss you guys;-)

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete
  4. No hypocrisy involved. Hell, Matt, I drive all over the place these days, albeit in the name of work. I will say that there are times when a-journeying an automobile can be an encumbrance, as in parking or stuck in a lane you can't escape as you pass an interesting spot. I once toured extensively by motorcycle and it was always a problem, finding a place to leave the bike when not riding. Hitchhiking was always best, but it colored the trip, it colored the trip with the lives of the people you rode with, many of them desperate and lonely and it colored the trip.

    But at the same time, bicycle touring involves many hours of getting nowhere slowly. I used to do a lot of canoe trips and we would pay to have our vehicle driven from the put-in to the pull-out. That was a good system and supported bicycle adventures are like that; but I have never done one and probably never will.

    Not because of hypocrisy, let's face it: guys like us are way out in front on the footprint deal. I envy you and the wife's NZ adventure and I wouldn't care if you were doing it by steamroller or on the back of a brontosaurus: have a blast and tell us all about it.

    tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ-

      Thanks for checking in and the thoughtful reply. I am able to rationalize things pretty well and realize this is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. That said, having this van shoved up my ass reinforces what I already know, I really don't like cars very much and they are simply a necessary evil that transports me to some of the places that I love.

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete
  5. What beautiful scenery! No judgement here! Have fun!
    Rupali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    I have NO judgement about the carbon consumption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rups! Won't be long before I am back in the Great Pacific NW pedaling myself around Seattle! Were going to live it up a bit here!

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete
  7. Matt - I fully appreciate the agony that awareness of ones own hypocrisy can bring to a soul, and I also appreciate your direct way of addressing it in this post. You are forgiven! Mother nature will look the other way since she knows you mean well. I hope that this leg of your journey brings awesome new adventures on this new terrain - enjoy it as I know you will!!! And keep up your work of keeping that Jenny of yours happy, there's another thing I appreciate. Not that it's that difficult with all the sun and sand. Lotsa love - Lia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lia-
      Not mention finding some sun and sand for my OC wife ;-) Thanks for reading and staying in touch. J and I are heading up to Karamea in search of some sunshine and beaches today.

      Cheers,

      Matt

      Delete